Join us to make Discovery Bay greener!
DB Green is a local non-profit organization which supports and promotes public awareness and environmental education by concentrating on Discovery Bay’s environmental and local culture.
Discovery Bay is well known throughout Hong Kong for having a reputation for being a “Green Community”. This unique area attracts hundreds of expatriate and local residents alike for numerous reasons. The main reasons being that DB reflects a haven for nature lovers and an environmentally friendly residence. On weekends and public holidays, countless visitors from other districts of Hong Kong make day trips with their families to Discovery Bay to experience this distinctive atmosphere.
Currently the Discovery Bay Management and it’s residents have developed and maintained some very good practices in DB such as recycling programs, high standards of cleanliness and hygiene, the “no cars allowed” concept, fun family events, as well as many other great attributes to our community. The objective for DB Green is to continue to contribute and enhance these existing practices as well as develop and expand on possible new ideas in order to preserve the wonderful qualities of Discovery Bay.
There are a number of passionate volunteers from DB Green who are giving up their valuable free time to make a difference for themselves, their families and their community by focusing on obtaining a progressive eco-friendly and environmentally safe surrounding through conservation, preservation and any aspect that would enrich Discovery Bay. DB Green would like to extend an open invitation to anyone interested in making some changes, big or small. We would like to get as many people as possible to add their names to the emailing list so we can get information to you which is not as readily available as it maybe should be and also let you know about fun events, projects, and tips and useful information you can do in your own households to not just save energy, but money also! We have a number of objectives we would like to explore including:
- Recycling-improving the convenience factor in our public areas and residences.
- Encouraging our businesses to adopt green practices
- Information, Information, Information- the more we know the more we can incorporate better green habits into our daily lives
- Encouraging our community events to be more ‘green’- less throwaway plastics
- Looking into preserving Lantaus marine and wildlife
- Myth busting about various common misconceptions (recycling particularly)
- Long term goals with setting up for the use of renewable energy in DB
- Pollution- how we can improve our own causes of pollution
- Looking into the air and water quality in DB
- Encouraging cycling with paths, access areas, bike racks etc
- ..plus any more concerns you might have that fall under the green category..
We look forward to making our community a happy, healthy, environmentally safe and friendly area for the benefit for all and for future years to come- with your support- even if you don’t have time- just having you on the mailing list is important! Please register at the top left corner of this website.